A-Ma Temple is a Buddhist temple on the southwest tip of the Macau Peninsula. It is one of the oldest and most famous temples in Macau. The temple dates to 1488. It is dedicated to the goddess of seafarers and fishermen, Matsu. The very name of the area, Macau, is thought to originate from the name of A-ma temple which in local Cantonese language is named Maagok Miu (媽閣廟). In 2005, the temple became one of the designated sites of the Historic Centre of Macau enlisted on UNESCO World Heritage List.