Image: Gaungyou Temple is in Liaoyang city in Liaoning province of China. This temple complex covers some 60,000 square metres of which 20,000 square metres is covered with buildings. by Derek Harkness
Liaoyang Tourist Attractions
Liaoyang Unreviewed Tourist Attractions
Have you been here? You can help us by writing a review of these locations.
- Wu Mosque
- Shenwo Reservoir (辽阳参窝水库简介; Liáoyáng Shēnwō Shuĭ Kù Jiăn Jiè)
- Gongchangling Hot Springs Area Golf Courses (弓长岭区温泉高尔夫球场; Gōng Cháng Líng Qū Wēn Quán Gāo ĕr Fū Qiú Cháng)
- Wazaigou Style Farm Tourism (辽阳瓦子沟简介; Liáoyáng Wăzĭgōu Jiăn Jiè)
- Confucian Temple Garden (文庙游园; Wén Miào Yóu Yuán)
- Taizi River Rafting (太子河漂流; Tài Zĭ Hé Piāo Liú)
- Gongchangling Skiing Field (弓长岭滑雪场; Gōngchánglíng Huáxuĕ Cháng)
- Li Zhaolin House (李兆麟故居; Lĭ Zhào Lín Gù Jū)
- Guanyu's Temple (关帝庙; Guān Dì Miào)
- Qingfeng Temple (清风寺; Qīng Fēng Sì)
- Hehuogou Provincial Level Forest Park (核伙沟自然风景区; Hé Huŏ Gōu Zì Rán Fēng Jĭng Qū)
- Guan Yin Temple (观音寺; Guān Yīn Sì)
- Liaoyang City Museum (辽阳市博物馆; Liáo Yáng Shì Bó Wù Guăn)
- Longfeng Mountain Scenic Spot and Temple (龙峰寺风景区; Lóng Fēng Sì Fēng Jĭng Qū)
Liaoyang Incompete Tourist Attractions
Have you been here? You can help us by writing a review of these locations.
- Yong'an Temple (永安禅寺; Yŏng ān Chán Sì)
Liaoyang Tourist information
Liaoyang is a prefecture level city within Liaoning province in China.
Intro to LiaoyangLiáoyáng (辽阳) is a prefecture level city in Liaoning Province of China. It was once one of the most important cities in the north east of China and briefly was the Capital of the Manchurian Late Jin Dynasty. Nowadays, Liaoyang is overshadowed by it's larger neighbour Anshan, just 23km to the south and west. To the north is the provincial capital, Shenyang and to the east lies the city of Benxi. The city first developed during the Yuan dynasty. The famous White Pagoda of Liaoyang and neighbouring temple, date to this time. In the following Ming dynasty, Liaoyang continued to be the principal city of the Liaoning area. The Manchurian's captured Liaoyang at the end of the Ming dynasty and made it their capital city. With the subsequent capture of Shenyang, the capital was moved away from Liaoyang and Shenyang began to over shadow Liaoyang.
Tourism in Liaoyang
Liaoyang is a surprising location for any tourist. Far from the normal tourist routes, in the industrial north east of China, the city is not on most people's itinerary. However, due to the age and former importance of the city, there is plenty for the traveller to see. There are several temples, including one extremely large temple. There are also more than the average number of museums. For the winter traveler, there are also several nearby ski centres.
History of Liaoyang
This is an ancient city with a long history going back over 2400 years. Liaoyang had been the major city of Liaodong (eastern Liaoning) province since the Waring States Period (475-221 BC). The city gew in prominance. One of the oldest Buddhist sites in China is in Liaoyang and is now the site of a large temple complex. During the Liao dynasty of northern China, the White Pagoda was constructed in Liaoyang. This remains the tallest building of it's kind in the north east of China. When Nurhachi united the Manchurian tribes and founded the Late Jin Dynasty, Nurhachi moved his capital to Liaoning. An imperial palace city was built there in 1621. The new capital was renamed Dongjing (East Capital). The city measured 900m east to west and 840m north to south with walls 11 metres high and two gates on either side. However, this palace was barely completed when, in 1625, Nurhachi moved his court yet again to the city of Shenyang. Nowadays, little remains of the old palace but some walls and gates are visible. In 1904, Battle of Liaoyang was fought as one of the major battles of the Russo-Japanese War. After the end of the second world war and the Chinese civil war, Liaoyang became a centre for heavy industrial development. It is somewhat overshadowed by the now larger neighbours of Shenyang and Anshan but remains one of the key cities of Liaoning province.
Geography of Liaoyang
Within Liaoyang prefecture there is 1 County, 5 District and 1 City.
- Baita District (白塔区; pinyin: Báitǎ Qū), has an area of 22 square kilometers and population of 220,000.
- Wensheng District (文圣区; pinyin: Wénshèng Qū), has an area of 50 square kilometers, population 170,000.
- Hongwei District (宏伟区; pinyin: Hóngwěi Qū), has an area of 66 square kilometers, population 110,000.
- Gongchangling District (弓长岭区; pinyin: Gōngchánglǐng Qū), has an area of 285 square kilometers, population 90,000.
- Taizihe District (太子河区; pinyin: Tàizǐhé Qū), has an area of 150 square kilometers, population 120,000.
- Dengta City (灯塔市; pinyin: Dēngtǎ Shì), has an area of 1,349 square kilometers, population 500,000.
- Liaoyang County (辽阳县; pinyin: Liáoyáng Xiàn), has an area of 2,822 square kilometers, population 600,000.
The nearest airport to Liaoyang is Shenyang Taoxian International Airport (SHE) 沈阳桃仙国际机场. This is some 60km away and take about 1 hours to reach by road.
Liaoyang is well connected by train to most major cities in Liaoning, including Shenyang, Anshan, Dalian, Benxi, Panjin and Dandong. The service is frequent inexpensive. Long distance routes connect Liaoyang to much of China with trains terminating as far a field as Shanghai.
Liaoyang in beside the main Shenda express way that runs north to south along the Liaodong pensular from Shenyang to Dalian. The Shenxi express way form Shenayng to Benxi city also runs through Liaoyang.
Three coaches daily connect Beijing and Liaoyang. There are twice daily coaches to Changchun. Frequent coaches run to and form most major cities in the Province. Coaches to or from Anshan, Benxi and Shenyang run as frequently as the buses circulate.
Bus is by far the cheapest mode of transport. Taxis are also common and inexpensive.
Hainan Restaurant (海纳百川), Xinxing Road, Liaoyang. (新兴街富虹水月翰宫二期北门西20米), ☎ 6976228 13841918338. Sichuan amd Xiangcai style boiled fish broth from Beijing.
Tain Fu Can Yin Yu Le You Xian Gong Si, Liaoyang (辽阳天福餐饮娱乐有限公司), 334 Xinyun Street,Wensheng District, Liaoyang. (文圣区新运大街334号), ☎ 4133555.
Lan'guifan Restaurant (白塔区兰桂坊西餐厅), Baida District, ☎ 2130133.
Liaoyang City, Shi Guang Zhou Tan Huo Shao Kao Chung (辽阳市光洲炭火烧烤城), ☎ 3122588. Barbcue restaurant.
Dong Shu Huoguo Restaurant, Liaoyang (辽阳东蜀火锅城), ☎ 4226696 4226996. Sichuan style hotpot restaurant.
Mojiafu Huoguo, Baida District (白塔区万家福火锅城), ☎ 2153755.
New Century Hotel (新世纪酒店), ☎ +86(0419)2128888. A four star hotel that contains dining rooms, KTV Plaza, Chaba, bars, sauna parlours, business centre, etc.
Liaoyang Hotel (辽阳宾馆), Zhonghua Road, Liaoyang. (辽阳市中华大街一段6l号), ☎ +86(0419)2288000. This 13 story building covers 19,995 square metres and contains 143 rooms. There is a conference centre with a capacity of 500 people.
Liaoyang Fuhong International Hotel (辽阳富虹国际饭店), ☎ +86(0419)2268888. A five-star hotel
Liaoyang Tingzhou Hotels Ltd (辽阳汀洲大酒店有限公司), ☎ +86(0419)2258999.
Liaoyang Silver Dream Hotel (辽阳银梦大酒店酒店有限公司), 49 Road(民主路49号), ☎ +86(0419)2136888, +86(0419)2134179 (fax: +86(0419)2153466). A 10,000 square meters hotel with
Yanshui Hotel (衍水宾馆), 158 Zhonghua Road, Liaoyang. (中华大街158号), ☎ +86(0419)3135901, 313666.
Liaoyang Xiangping Hotel (辽阳襄平宾馆).
Liaoyang City Huayuan Hotel (辽阳市华园宾馆), ☎ 3232344.
Liaohua Hotel (辽化宾馆), 40 Zhonghua Road, Liaoyang. (辽阳市青年大街40号), ☎ 5153481. This 236 room hotel covers an area of 54,000 square metres. There are 16 meeting rooms for business and the 15 different restaurants can seat 600 dinners. The function and banquet suite can accommodate 500 guests.